Thursday, February 9, 2012

The End

...and so, we arrive at the last page in this story! Ironic as it may be, it will also be the first personal post. And last, of course.

I've been thinking about this last post some time now, and even as I type this I find myself doing some heavy rewriting. I read somewhere on a social network that people don't like to read a lot of paragraphs, so I'll just do one long bullet-point list of miscellaneous things more or less related to this blog. I'll even cross-link within my own blog!

So, in no chronological order at all:

  • The first post was submitted on the 4th of january, 2010. Two days earlier, I had placed an order for the Swords & Wizardry Core book from Black Blade Publishing. The book arrived one month later, to both mine and Jon Hershberger's big surprise. But he was kind enough to throw in the first issue of Knockspell.
  • For a long time, I believed that the name Gygax was made-up.
  • My favourite character has to be Hamphred Dungbeetle, closely followed by Old Badsey. I'd love to spend my days in a bathtub outdoors.
  • My least favourite character, quite ironically, is Billobi himself. His personality is pretty flat and boring, and many times he felt like a lifeless pawn I had to move through a board of living stories.
  • I got a very nice review!
  • The most visited post is Dowsing rod (magic item), although the one with the most comments is Bag of Spending (magic item). None of them is my favourite, although I think the Bag of Spending is funnier.
  • The two posts titled The almost secret tower of Leasspell is probably the ones I regret writing the most. It all started with a very ugly map made by yours truly, that I scanned and wrote a story about. Leasspell is old English, meaning "lie, fiction, fable". So, the original thought was that old Badsey was just making up the whole story, but somehow I managed to get lost in my own terrible writing.
  • The first RPG I ever saw was (I believe) the Swedish game Mutant. I think I was around 10-12 years old, and I didn't understand a thing. But the pictures were nice.
  • Grammar Magic started as rough idea on a piece of paper on a train ride to Skåne:

    I don't think I changed it all that much, actually.
  • In my Rustfoot-folder on my hard drive, there's a sub-folder called "A festive occasion". It contains a Word-document, that holds a title and a license, but nothing more. I wish I could remember what I meant to do with it!
  • I originally planned to have the people living up at the Talltops talk Swedish ("...Billobi thought he heard the guide mention his name once, but he wasn't sure because of his archaic dialect...").



So, there you have it. If you have any questions about Rustfoot - the world, its people, or plots you never understood - write it in the comment section below and I'll try to answer. Or maybe you're just glad it's all over? Either way, I'd love to hear from you.


Ha det bra!
/ Jensan

14 comments:

  1. What an utter delight it has been reading Rustfoot's blog. I am sad that it is over but glad that it's on the internet at all.

    What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob!

    Well, I'll probably spam the 1km1kt boards a lot more, that's for sure.

    I'd love to extract The Badgerbrough Inquisitive and make it a thing of its own. A physical thing, perhaps?

    Another idea I had was to do a "Postcards from Badsey". I believe anyone who's read this blog can imagine what that would be like.

    Only the future knows (and anyone with a DeLorean)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll miss your posts. :(
    Thank you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reading all this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Badgerbrough Inquisitive must be a PDF. Flesh it out with a little more text (and an edit) and some more lovely illustrations. Put it on Lulu for yourself at least!

    Well done again, you'll always have a home amongst the monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going to miss your quirky magical stories. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Runjikol, and thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to see it go, but I'm sure you have your reasons.

    Rustfoot's blog has provided (and will continue to provide!) lots of material for me in running my campaigns. My favorite item is the bag of devouring. My players had a blast figuring that one out! ("I could have sworn there was more in here...")

    I also really like your adventures, especially the Horsehead ones. They're a perfect mix of serious and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for kind words, danrothmusic! I'm happy to hear that you have found use for the things I've posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you keep posting here and there at least as your work is very impressive and very inspiring.

    My blog will be winding down in a few weeks and I know what you mean about thinking about the last post. But at this point I don't know if I can stop. :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks bat! I'll do the occasional posting on Google+ (the things from my notebook), and maybe keep working on The Dove.

    I'm sad to hear you're closing down yours as well, but you'll keep posting on the X-plorers blog, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will miss this blog, but at least I have our continued correspondence to look forward to.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is pretty cool. Thanks! Any more like this out there?

    ReplyDelete